Subject: Re: Noctilux
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 17:22:28 GMT

At 22:35 26/10/97 +0000, you wrote:

>While it is nice to have a unique quality about the lens, the vignetting is
>still of  concern as it is not always possible to compose in a way to suit
>the lens.
>A 50 Summilux is about a stop slower and, given todays faster film
>emulsions and the ability to  push process if necessary, would'nt that
>actually make  using a 50 summilux wide open more logical?   I do not think
>the 50 Summilux has a reputation of 3 stops in light falloff.
>Dan K.

Using a 50mm Summilux wide open is only more logical if you prefer the final
result. If you prefer it, then it is indeed more logical!
I find that the main point of using a Noctilux, for me anyway, isn't so much
the speed as the look of the pictures, although circumstances usually
combine anyway, ie I use it in low light. But if it was a situation where
that vignetting would be a problem, or the size and weight was a priority,
I'd use the Summilux instead, if I had one at the time. I've got both at the
moment, but usually use the Noctilux whenever I get the chance. F1.0 on the
Noctilux looks very different from f1.4 on the Summilux. I just wish I'd
bought one earlier...

Joe Berenbaum