Subject: Re: Q: 75 Summilux
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Oct 1997 09:58:45 -0500

At 09:48 AM 26-10-97 +0100, Alf wrote:

>1) Do I understand your words correct, that the 75/Summilux and 90/Summicron
>are equal in sharpness between f2 and f4, and that the current 90/Elamrit is
>better than both at f2.8 and f4 (and higher apertures)?
>
>2) Is the 75/Summilux a "warm" or "cold" lens?

Hmm...The only Leica lens I own to compare is the recent 90 tele-elmarit,
and I would say that it definitely is NOT as sharp as the 75 at 2.8.  I
find that the 75 from f2 onwards is incredibly sharp, and it would surprise
me if the current 90 elmarit can surpass it in sheer resolving power.
Maybe it can, which would make the current elmarit a hell of a lens!  One
thing for sure (at least for me), the 75 is the one lens I own where all
this talk of Bokeh seems to make sense.  Out of focus parts of the images
made with it are absloutley beautiful.  I even noticed it before those damn
articles appeared in PHOTO Techniques ;-).

As far as colour is concerned, since I shoot negative film about 90% of the
time, I can't really comment on whether or not a given lens is warm or not.
 It all gets lost in the wash.  All I can say is that pictures taken with
the 75 appear to stand out from my other pictures.

Dan C.