Subject: Re: Special Edition M6's
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 1997 16:37:11 +0000

Marc,

> I'm puzzled as to why you would say that I "feel threatened" by this
> proposed legislation.  Do you have some special access to my emotions?

I do not and I apologize for my assumption. Your quoted post as very aggressively
written and since you posted it for our edification/interest, I assummed that you agreed
with its tone as well as its content.

> I believe we are speaking of two separate things.  I am, frankly, not
> concerned in the least about copyright to photographs
<snip>

Copyrights are, like any other kind of rights, applied to different situations. There are
however, no different rules between books and photographs. That being true, when you
attack copyright for books, you attack copyrights for photographs, for music, etc.

You cannot be speaking of two separate things.

> I AM concerned over the copyright on books, however, as I am
> an academic researcher and find it frustrating to be bound by the dead hand
> of the past in my access to works long out of print.  Many of the works I
> use have been OP for twenty or thirty years, but copyright laws still
> restrict access to or use of them.

For good reason IMO. I make somewhere around half of my income from license and
reuse rights. I don't have tenure, benefits, paid vacations, medical insurance or any of
the other perks of employment that most do. My work has value that I'm interested in
profiting from because it is my profit and my property, not the publics or some
corporation that is too cheap to offer me the same benefits they offer their employees.

When someone wants to use something that is not theirs to use, they should ask for
terms of usage. I see nothing wrong with this in principle or practice; it seems a common
courtesy.

It is kind of you to offer your Zeiss Compendium for rsearch but, (when it clearly
becomes yours again at least) that is your choice because it is your work. I don't think it
kind to require that I lend, or give, you my Leica on demand; why should it be different
for the product of my Leica's use?

Danny Gonzalez

Danny Gonzalez