Subject: Re: Buying an M6...
From: dannyg1@IDT.NET
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 18:12:52 +0000

Simon,

Most modern collectible M6's are far overpriced. In the last few years the only 'sure'
value holding M6 is the M6j (around $7000 with the 50 Elmar that is made for it) but, a
few of the non-official special editions would probably fit the bill for you.

(Now before everyone starts screaming 'salespitch', I just sold my PAD M6 and so, you
can't buy one from me!)

There were two recent M6 demonstration editions that had unique engravings on them:

First was the 'Benelux' model that had a detailed map of Belgium, Netherlands and
Luxemburg engraved, as well as a tri color flag on it. I haven't seen any of this one and
dont know what the going price for one is.

Second was the Partner Aktion Deutschland that had a detailed engraving of Germany on
it. The current store price on this model is $2900-3200 unused with box, though it sold
for $2200-2500 when it was first offered. (BTW, the camera was sold by Leica to
dealers with a matched SN 35 'lux ASPH, but, as far as I've seen, it was never sold to
public configured that way. If you could find a full set, it would be far more interesting
to a prospective collector)

Both of the above models were made in very small numbers (The PAD was only 500
units), much smaller than most special edition M6's which usually are from 1000-2500
made. Both the Benelux and P.A.D. would seem to me, to be the 'best bet' from both a
price and future appreciation standpoint.

If Leica issues any more of these mini-editions, you might consider buying one at
introduction and selling later. The only real problem that I see with your plan is that
collectors will probably (short term) not buy a slightly used example of a special edition
model and so, when you want to cash in, you'll be selling to a user who wants a unique
M6. If Leica were to intro the M7 in the meantime, it could be decades before your
camera would have collector value again.

Danny Gonzalez