Subject: Re: Buying an M6...
From: n5xrd@juno.com (Richard W. Hemingway)
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 1997 14:35:04 CDT

Simon,

,>with either a 35 Summicron or Summilux.  What would
>be the best investment, ie what would retain its value
>or preferably appreciate in value?  Would I be better

If you want an investment buy a CD or put it in your retirement fund,
etc. If you buy new  Leica's the value will go down about 20% right off
the bat as the passport warranty can't be transferred. However, I
understand that the due to the exchange rate the price of M's is now
going up some.

If you buy used mint you may or may not be able to sell close to what you
paid for it, unless Leica brings out new products that are similiar,
superior  and close in price to what you have. Or unless Leica undercuts
the price like they did on both the new R8's and M6's  in the last year -
although this doesn't seem likely to me.  but then what do I know.  On
recent equipment, used sells for about 70%, MOL of new.

I do know you will enjoy photography with them and they will keep more of
their value than about anything else photographic you can buy

No interest income on the Leicas - and not much divident income from
their stock either as I understand it.

Not trying to put you off.  Just the facts - IMHO  I am sure you will get
a lot of other advice from many much more knowledgeable than me

Richard Hemingway
Norman, OK