Subject: Chromes, Me, and Eric Welch
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 14:51:54 -0400

Eric

Well, I shoot chromes as they're cheaper to have processed, for starters.
(I do my own c-41 but get lazy about it and let it pile up.)  I do project
them, on occasion, but it's such a pain to set up the screen and projector
and so forth.  So I tend to set up the projector every six months or so and
do a gala four-hour show.  No one else will stay the time, so I get to
glory in my own artistic soul, a true ego-boost as there's no gainsayers
present!

As to printing, yes, I do my own.  I bitterly hate EP-2/RA-4 printing:  I
seem to have an innate ability to screw up the colour balance.  But with
Ilfochrome, you index your enlarger, and the rest is pretty much autopilot
stuff.  Get a good ball game on the radio, and I can zap out a couple of
prints every eight or ten minutes using a drum processor (I know, I know, I
know:  I need a more sophisticated arrangement.  But I'm cheap.)

I haven't had much problem with contrast using the new Kodak E6 emulsions.
It's there, but it's not bad.  Where it is bad, you really should start
playing games like internegs, and, for that, I'd send it out to a pro lab.
There's one in town here which owes me a chunk of favors.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!