Subject: Rambling on about Cuba....
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 1997 9:56:06 -0500

Patrick wrote:

>One part of your story that surprised me was where you said that you
were
>lucky that the Cuban military people didn't just kill you for your
camera,
>because you said that a lot of that happens.  I had heard that petty
theft
>was a problem in Cuba, but I hadn't heard that the military had turned
>bandits or that foreigners were being killed for their possessions
there.
>Could you give more details?

I wouldn't worry too much about it if you stay with your hosts which I
expect you will.   Many times a foreigner will be hosted by party
members or "informants" and the police know that they will get tattled
on if they try anything.   We were not guests of the government but of
a large church denomination.

I prefer to get out on my own as much as possible.  I find it's easier
for me to work, it usually draws less attention and I can wait in a
spot for shot far longer than my companions who get bored after 5
minutes.  I usually do not draw much attention to myself, at least
adults don't come up to me often, I tend to be a kid magnet though and
you need to watch your bag when they swarm.

In Cuba however, any foreigner draws attention as all sorts of people
come up to you trying to sell you rum, cigars, shoes, themselves or in
some cases their 14 yr old daughter.  So I had people coming up to me
all the time.  It gets a bit unnerving because you're not sure of their
motives, besides that I don't drink, smoke or cheat on my wife.   It
also is harder to shoot when people come up to you and worse yet, it
took away from my precious free moments.

In my case, the danger really was that I was in the middle of nowhere
to begin with.  There was hardly anybody around, (no witnesses per say)
and anybody could have clubbed me over the head, buried me under a tree
in their backyard and who's going to know.  I really doubt the military
would have killed me on their base solely for my camera.  But, if they
had truly thought I was working for the CIA (and believe me, I don't)
who knows what might have happened.

The police and government are quite corrupt and I heard many stories
later from people of things that have happened in and around that
general area by police and local thugs.  Petty theft is a serious
problem.  When you realize that the average monthly wage is about $10
and I was carrying a camera and lens conservatively worth $1200.  It's
awfully tempting to someone who has no food. Did you know the penalty
for killing a cow is more severe than for killing a person in Cuba?
Just up the road from where I was a  little girl went up to a neighbors
house and asked for some milk.  The lady said how dare you hold out
your hands and beg for milk.  She wrapped the childs hands with cloth,
put oil on it and set it on fire burning her in several places.  How's
that for compassion?

The other truly no-no is to go off without a copy of your passport.
In Ecuador at least you will end up in jail till they can figure what
to do with you if you get caught with papers as only criminals who
don't want to be identified walk around without ID, they say.

Cuba is a interesting country with many photographic possibilities.
If you like peeling-paint photos you will find much of that.   If they
could repaint every building in the entire country I would shoot a lot
more film.  There are lots of pre-revolution American cars but they are
pretty beat up and look a lot better from a distance in my opinion.
The people are pretty friendly and some will ask you to take their
pictures.   I wish I would have had more free time to take photographs
but I ended up having very little shooting time outside of the
workshops.  I made some great friends and would go back without even
thinking about it.  The tourism spots and hotels are really pretty nice
by Latin American standards and pretty reasonably priced with all the
beef you can eat.  My Cuban hosts hadn't seen beef in years!

This week in our Quito newspaper, Cuba had an advertizement for some of
it's many medical services.  Including Liposuction and cosmetic surgery
of all things, kind of humorous to me after talking with people who
have great doctors and good  diagnosis but can't get the medicines or
can't get glass to make eyeglasses.  All going to the tourists, I
guess.

I've rambled too much....

Better get back to the darkroom,

Duane Birkey