Subject: Re: Paris (off topic)
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 1997 20:47:09 -0400

At 03:50 PM 19-10-97 -0700, Herman replied to:
>>I will go to Paris in the middle of November. I would very much like to see
>>some of HCB:s original pictures.
>
>We had a large exhibition of HCB's original photographs in Rotterdam about
ten
>years ago.  The quality of the prints was rather disappointing.  The
>reproductions in a good quality book looked much better.

In the latest American PHOTO, there is a letter to the editor from HCB
concerning the provious issue, which had a special article on him.  In the
letter, he was very emphatic to the point that he printed very few of his
pictures himself, and those that he did print were given to very close
friends.  The prints bearing the Magnum seal (which NCB refers to as
"so-called vintage prints I have heard of that are on the market') were
"printed in a rush for magazine publication, and I never [HCB emphasized
never] gave them even a glance of approval."

Prints used for book publication were set aside and have never been for sale.

So it appears that many of his prints which appear in galleries (including
a fine display currently at the Montreal Museum of Fine Arts) may be copies
that were never intended for display.

Dan C.