Subject: Reappearance of LeicaMeter
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 1997 11:02:54 -0400

Last night a LeicaMeter that I had misplaced about 25 years ago suddenly
reappeared out of the mist.  (I had given it to a friend about 10 years ago
when I temporarily left the fold, and had forgotten about it.  He was good
enough to remind me about it and return it.)  As I recall, I bought it in
the mid 60s with my first IIIc.  (The thief who stole the camera was nice
enough to leave me the meter.)

It is the first version of the LeicaMeter complete with the Booster, each
in its own leather case, all in close to mint condition.  The amazing thing
is that it works.  Perhaps being in the dark in its case for a quarter of a
century preserved the selenium cell.

I have not had a chance to test it outside in bright light, but using light
sources in my house last night, it seemed very close to my Sekonic.
Question:  I would really like to try to use the meter with my IIIf.  Is
there anything that I can do, or have done reasonably, to try to restore
it?  Is opening it up and trying to clean the cell and contacts an option
or will I instantly create a dummy meter?

According to Marc's article in a 1995 issue of _Viewfinder_ the first
LeicaMeter was produced in 1951 and then the 2 and 3 shortly thereafter.
Did production of the LeicaMeter cease at this point?  Mine certainly does
not look forty-six years old -- especially the cases which appear almost
new.

One other item appeared with the meter:  A Summitar "barn door" folding
shade in nice condition.  As this gives me two and I would be interested in
trading it for comparably valued items for my IIIf or M3 .. perhaps filters
or the Nooky(?) close-up device for a Summitar.  If anyone is interested,
please get in touch with me directly by e-mail.

Steve