Subject: Re: rules & laws
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 18:29:04 -0700

At 09:50 AM 10/17/97 +1000, you wrote:
>I find nothing more encouraging than someone walking up
>to me while photographing and saying "It'll never work".  The heart of
>an image may not need tack sharpness in any case, and the rule makers
>have no inkling of your intentions.
>
>I like to know the rules so that I know when I am breaking them and
>appreciate the possible consequences.
>
>Rob.

Hi Rob,

I'm not sure there are any "rules" for the experienced photographer. An
experienced photographer looks as a situation and visualizes in his/her
mind what he/she wants to get out of it. The photographer has some tools,
and a result in mind. The photographers experience will guide him/her as to
how to use those tools to achieve the desired result. The use of those
tools in this situation are the "guidelines" for this photographer at this
particular time.

An inexperienced photographer, on the other hand, may not know how to
visualize the end result, and probably won't know how to manipulate his/her
tools appropriately. For these budding photographers, there are the dreaded
"basic" rules. These are the rules we read about in photo books and
magazines, and learn as the "basics" in photography school. After mastering
these rules, the now experienced photographer will make his/her own way.
Finding how to craft new guidelines to insure the desired result.

Of course, there are laws. At asa 64 and normal development, a certain
quantum of light must fall on the film to produce an image. You can move
the development up & down and the asa up & down, but the silver halide in
the film emulsion must receive a specific quantum of light in order to be
subsequently reduced to silver, by a suitable developer. This is a law. The
rule, however, states that Velvia must be developed in the E6 process. The
rule can be broken by the experienced photographer. With the proper
experience, the film can be exposed to give very creative results when
processed in C41.

So rules, to the experienced photographer, are merely guidelines. But the
laws remain intact.

Jim

* Jim Brick, ASMP, BIAA                 *
* Visual Impressions Photography        *
* Visual Impressions Publishing         *
* two M/Viso/R7's, a gaggle of glass    *
* one Linhof Field View, a pod of glass *
* and some other reasonably cool stuff  *
* Looking for a CL s/n 139... or higher *