Subject: Re: Would Perfect Lens have Bokeh?
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 1997 07:56:07 -0400

At 05:53 AM 16-10-97 -0400, Marvin wrote:
[snip]
>   Question for all the technical minded Luggers:
> IF YOU WERE TO MAKE A PERFECT LENS - that is - one without any
> aberations at all = would that lens have no bokeh regardless of if it was
> a Leica, Canon, Nikon or whatever OR is the bokeh caused by those
> chromozones that we call aberations?  ****************************

My understanding is that the term "Bokeh" refers to the way the out of
focus parts of the photograph appear.  You cannot eliminate Bokeh without
eliminating the out of focus portions of the picture.  The Bokeh can either
look nice, or not so nice, and is determined in part by the mechanical
construction of the lens (aperture blades) and to the extent that certain
aberations (I believe spherical is the main culprit) have been controlled.

Dan C.