Subject: Re: Moss, Bower, Shutter Speed & Mud
From: Leikon35@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 22:26:08 -0400 (EDT)

     Alexander -  I think Mr.Bower is being a little too consevative.
 Many photogs (even me) have the ability to hold their rf cameras
 steady for 1/30 or even 1/15 if you they lean on a wall or post.
     The usual accepted figures are:
  50mm lens ------ 1/25  to 1/50
  90mm lens ------ 1/50  to 1/100
 135mm "     "     1/250 or faster
   but this would be based on a particular circle of confusion of
 1/100" (I think).  I am sure that if you made a comparison test
 with your camera on a tripod, they would be much sharper but
 these figures are for acceptable sharpness, which is  really a
 subjective term & could mean many things to many people.
  ( Am I beginning to sound like Alf?)

  Marvin (Mud) Moss
<<
 Brian Bower wrote in his book "Leica M Photography" on page 49:

 "In my experienc camera shake is the biggest single cause of unsharp
 pictures. Many photographers are wildly optimistic about their ability
 to hold a camera/lens combination steady. To be reasonably certain of a
 perfectly sharp result my rule of thumb for minimum shutter speeds with
 the different focal length Leica M lenses are:

 Lens		shutter speed

 21/28mm		1/60 sec
 35mm		1/125 sec
 50/75mm		1/250 sec
 90/135mm	1/500 sec"

 When I read the following lugmail I wonder.....

 Marvin,
 I use my "Leicas" R version regularly at 1/15th or 1/30 and I don't see
 any
 mirror "bounce effect". I might as well add that I do the same shutter
 speeds with the "Leica" M version and I know there isn't any there! :)

 ted

 I don't want to insult anyone, but if you ask my opinion I would say
 that the recommended minimum shutter speed by Brian Bower must have been
 meant only for people with parkinson :)

 I am told that, because of the absence of a mirror, the M-camera can be
 used at comparatively longer shutter speeds than a SLR.

 Any opinions?

 BTW, once again I like to express my love for the M(asterpiece). I just
 got my slides (fuji sensia) back!

 Regards,

 Alexander Koning,
 The Hague, NL.