Subject: Re: R lenses
From: "Thomas J. Donovan" <75674.3465@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 1997 12:55:15 -0400

R Users,

I've just gotten a bunch of prints done from negatives ( Royal Gold 100 &
Reala; the newest versions ) ; mainly shot with my 70-180 f2.8 APO & 90
f2.8 Elmarit. Let me quote Charlie Whitescarver (from an old Shutterbug
article ) " Other photographers look at me like a cow looks at a jet plane,
but I love it ";~).

I've got one 19 &1/2" X 13" print taken with the 70-180 APO that is
verrrrry crisp. There's several silos & a shed in the midst of swirling
patterns of cornfields, shot at around 180mm; the lettering on the silos is
as if you were there in person. Not only that, but shadow details are
incredible; individual, but tiny, corn stalks leap out at you from the
print.

What a merger of film & optical technology! The 280 f4 & 70-180 APOs are
the ideal tools for field work with rural landscapes. Now if I could only
improve my eye in working with candid portraits. And hey, I'm making the
pilgrimage to Kennebunkport next week to learn  from the master with the
visual gift ;~)!

BTW, I shot some of that Kodak T400CN with my M6/35 f1.4 Aspheric combo.
I've got a print of a priest saying mass with outstretched hands , with an
altar girl in it, and a large crucifix in the background, all in a rural
cemetery. What's of interest is not just the composition; it's the glowing
highlight detail of the priest's garments! This is a verrry beautiful
print!

Tom D.