Subject: Re: Loading M3
From: Edward Meyers <aghalide@panix.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 1997 11:11:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 10 Oct 1997 CapsTeeth@aol.com wrote:

> There is an aftermarket "quick-load" kit comprised of a slotted "open-bottom"
> spool and a plastic guide that screws down on the nipple in the baseplate.  I
> had one on my M2 which is currently being "converted" to the M6 spool.  I'm
> not sure if the kit was made by Leica or not (all it says anywhere on it is
> "M Germany") but it works fairly well and may be findable used.
> Doc

I have one such kit and I've had it for many years. Although it
"fits" the M3 it is not meant for the M3. It's meant to be used
with the M2. Reason is that with the M3 you must remove the spool
each time you load it to do two things. They are: to attach the
film leader and to activate the zero reset mechanism in the
camara's frame counter. If the spool is not removed the counter
does not reset. For the M2 there is no resetting frame counter.
You set the frame counter manually. Therefore you need not
remove the spool--a perfect setup for the add-on easy-to-load
gadget we are talking about. Ed Meyers