Subject: Re: 35-70mm. R f4.0 ASPH Zoom
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 01:06:21 -0500

At 06:37 PM 10/8/97 -0700, you wrote:
>The press release says: "One of them is also aspherically ground and
>polished according to an innovative technique which Leica Camera helped to
>develop".
>
>Is plastic ever ground and polished, or is it always moulded? The glass
>Aspheric elements on the 21mm ... 35mm Leica M lenses are moulded, not
>ground. Correct?
>How about the 50mm ASPH Noctilux?

Canon is as far as I know the only company that does the glass on plastic
thing. And I'll bet they're not sharing. And besides, that's only for the
consumer aspherics. And the old Noctilux is way too old (1966) to have such
a hybrid type of element.

Leica is using molded glass. The aspheric surface is not ground, it's
moulded to a finished surface.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

Lottery: A tax on people who are bad at math