Subject: Re: Film suggestions for dark party?
From: "Charles E. Albertson" <chucko@ricochet.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 1997 22:38:30 -0700

At 03:15 AM 10/7/97 +0100, you wrote:
 My inclination is to use Neopan
>1600 or TMax 3200 and rate it at whatever is needed at the time, and develop
>it in Xtol, but I don't feel at all confident with this idea because I've
>never used either of of those combinations. In fact I haven't rated any b&w
>film that high for a long time. Any recommendations, anyone?

Joe---
	I'd use TMax 3200 at EI 3200 if you can get away with it, 6400 if you need
extra speed. If you have an incident meter, I find I get better results if
I meter with that (contrary to my experience with other B&W films). Develop
in either T-Max or Xtol, and I've been getting very good results with Xtol
(stock). If you have the time, try shooting, developing, and printing a
roll of night-time street scenes (or something similar) to gain some
confidence with the combination. TMax 3200 is pretty amazing stuff -- if
you can see well enough to focus, you can probably get quite a lot of the
image on that film. And don't panic if the negs look a little thin --
there's really quite a bit there. Just print them and you'll see.
	I haven't had as much success with Neopan 1600 in the sort of lighting. It
doesn't have much speed above 1600, and I tend to use it in really dim,
flat lighting where I need an extra shutter speed or more depth of field
than an EI 400 film can deliver. Metering is very important, as Neopan 1600
has little room for underexposure.

Chuck Albertson
Seattle, Wash.