Subject: Re: Rangefinder alignment
From: barney@sgi50.wwb.noaa.gov (Barney Quinn)
Date: Wed, 1 Oct 97 10:06:44 -0400

George,

The moving parts in the rangefinder which control the focus rotate in
a plane parallel to the top deck of the camera. That means
horizontally when the body is held in landscape mode.

Having said that, having a rangefinder which is out of vertical
alignment, IMHO, doesn't help things one bit. It makes it harder to
see what you're doing, and it certainly doesn't inspire confidence on
some deep psychological level.

Barney

>> From the thread on "Wisdom from the Usenet":
George> And the Leica rep who admitted misalignment problems was, I believe,
George> talking about vertical misalignment that does not affect focusing accuracy.
>> -Charlie

George> Could someone elaborate on this?  Why doesn't vertical misalignment affect
George> focusing accuracy?  Is it just me, or do others find it more difficult to
George> focus the Ms vertically than horizontally?  I usually find that for a
George> vertical shot, I first focus horizontally, then realign the camera
George> vertically for the shot.
George> If the vertical alignment were off, and one were focusing vertically,
George> then why wouldn't it affect focusing accuracy?  I think that I need someone
George> to clarify how the rangefinder differs for focusing and for vertical
George> alignment.

George> -GH