Subject: Re: V35 Enlarger
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 17:41:42 -0700

Thanks for everyone's comments re autofocus. I have tried the adjustments
as noted in replies. Maybe I just gave up too soon. Will try again.

On my 1C, I used a "chemical focus" technique describe in a 1970's "Leica
Photography" article. You determined precise focus by inspecting the
developed prints that were done at slightly different settings, then
locking in the helical ring. From that point on, I never gave focus a
second thought on the 1C.

With my V35, the enlarger and 40mm Focotar lens were purchased separately.
I called Leica in New Jersey to see if that was a problem - no one seemed
to think it was, but then, no one seemed to be much of an authority there
on the V35 either. It still produces wonderful enlargements tho, and the
variocontrast head is a delight. I actually like a few features of the 1C
better, but the vario head more than makes up for that.

One other problem I'm curious if anyone else has noted on a V35: the amount
of light with the quartz-halogen bulb does not seem very bright. Just to do
an 8x10 on a dense neg (say 2-3 stops overexposed) can take 20-30 seconds
at f4. I would like to be always using f5.6, but even normal negs can
require very long burning in times for 8x10. Do Q-H bulbs get dim with age?
 Here in Northern California earthquake country, I doubt I could even do a
16x20 between tremors!

Gary Todoroff
Eureka, CA