Subject: Re: 90mm/f2 made in Canada
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 08:02:33 -0500

At 07:25 PM 9/28/97 +0800, you wrote:
>the early 90's and production moved back to Solms.  I presume that this
>is no longer the case..  Could some kind soul fill me in.

The old Leica factory in Midland, Ontario, Canada is now owned by Hughes,
and it called Hughes/Leitz, as reported in the Compuserve Photo forum. I
know they make lenses for Panavision cameras (and satellite lenses for U.S.
intelligence agencies). And it looks like they make stuff for Leica yet
today, even though Leica doesn't own the factory. It makes sense, the
people who made the Canadian 90 Summicron R are probably still there. They
do it best. Why not?

And are you sure it's the latest with the single piece lens hood? The 90
Summicron R has always had a built in hood, but the older ones had
two-piece hoods.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

 Give me ambiguity or give me something else.