Subject: Re: 90mm/f2 made in Canada
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 1997 07:57:53 -0400

At 07:25 PM 28-09-97 +0800, Nick Jackson wrote:
>I recently bought a Summicron 90mm f2 lens here in Malaysia.  Its the
>latest version with the integral hood, not concealing the aperture
>ring.  I have to confess to only recently noticed its made in Canada.
>The only book I have here (Laney) suggests that this factory was sold in
>the early 90's and production moved back to Solms.  I presume that this
>is no longer the case..  Could some kind soul fill me in.

My understanding is that the Midland factory was sold to Hughes
Electronics, but thay they continue to produce certain Leica lenses under
contract, with many of the same employees who worked for Leitz.  They have
a web page [http://www.elcan.com/] which describes what they do.  They
appear to have a state-of-the-art optical factory.

Contrary to rumours, they are amenable to plant tours, if contacted in
advance.

Dan C.