Subject: re: LUG Time Lag
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 21:26:53 -0700

At 09:05 PM 9/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 08:25 PM 23-09-97 -0400, you wrote:
>>Would someone please explain to me what causes the time
>>from posting to receiving (Lag) to vary from minutes to hours,
>>sometimes a day.  Often I will post an item & see it on
>>my own screen in just seconds. Distance shoulnt matter to
>>electronic email and since their is no www involved, what is
>>the determining factor?
>>
>>Marvin
>>
>I though it was just me.  When I post things to the photoforum list, I
>receive the post within minutes.  On the LUG it takes up to hours.  I guess
>it has to do with the way Majordomo works versus Photoforum's Listserv.
>
>Dan C.

It's not Majordomo, it's the internet nodes, amount of traffic, which
hardware is up, which hardware is down, your local ISP's current load, are
they doing a backup? lines that are up & down, power outages... basically a
world wide phenomonen. If a node and/or route goes down, messages are
re-routed, this causes backpressure, and the ripple can circumvent the
globe numerous times before things even out again. During this ripple,
messages are stored but not forwarded until available routes are not
overloaded. It's sort of like a living organism. And can be modeled as a
biological process.

Jim