Subject: Summitars
From: Stephen Kobrin <kobrins@wharton.upenn.edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 1997 08:50:25 -0400

Marc noted that Summitars were produced from 1939-1955.  Does anyone have
an idea of how to estimate the date of production from the serial number?
I just traded my decent, if a bit hazy, Summitar for one with very clean
glass and I amazed at the difference.  Stopped down, I cannot tell the
difference between B&W prints from it and my collapsible Summicron 50.
Mine has a serial number of 750XXX. As I have always assumed that the one
million mark was hit about 1950, am I correct in assuming it is a late
1940s vintage?  If so, it has certainly held up better than its owner!

Steve