Subject: Re: long lenses and M series
From: BBAIN@imnet.com (BBAIN)
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 19:01:17 -0400

     Since I'm the guy that asked the question, and started the whole
     thing, let me be more specific.  First, I am an amateur, and second,
     shooting a whole roll to get a few really good shots is not a problem.
      I'd love to get 24 of 24 perfect shots, but film is cheap and there's
     always a game next week.

     My daughter has played indoor soccer for several years. The M (in my
     case, M3) is a wonderful sports camera for indoor sports if you can
     get close enough.  Since my daughter plays goalie, I can use
     appropriate f stop selection with a Vivitar 285 (zoom head) to cover
     her expected range of movement through DOF.  For lenses I use either a
     90mm or a 135 and have gotten many good pictures.  To use a SLR would
     require that I adjust my setting off the shutter to compensate for the
     mirror delay.  From my experience, the delay is small but can be
     significant.  If I shot enough film, i would probably learn to
     compensate, but one of the great virtues of the RF system is the
     relatively minimal delay between depressing the shutter button and the
     shutter firing.

     This Fall her team moved into the outdoor league.  She still plays
     goalie, but a 135 is simply not long enough to reach across the soccer
     pitch (parents are not allowed on the sidelines except for 10 yards on
     either side of the midfield stripe in her league, so getting closer is
     not an option).  I was not trying to incite a discussion of whether an
     SLR is better for sports photography (the ability to use *really* long
     lenses or zooms would seem to be reason enough), but rather to tap the
     collective wisdom on the use of the teleextenders or long lenses like
     the mentioned 200mm Komura generally.  Economics dictate that an AF
     SLR is not really an option (although as a former Canon user, I have
     to admit that the Elan IIe is doggone attractive).

     Sorry for all the confusion.

     Bill