Subject: Re: Capa's cameras
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1997 00:20:48 -0500

At 01:35 PM 9/19/97 -0400, you wrote:
>Didn't the us army agreed to a second, extra invasion for Robert Capa some
>days later, additionally ? The series with the famous flag/ banner pic ?

Alf, you have two stories mixed up there.

The flag story, was about Abe Rosenthal at Iwo Jima. He did not photograph
a staged event there, they were just putting up a second larger flag
because the first one was not large enough to be seen all across the
island. That has been thoroughly researched and proven to be the case.
Rosenthal is now dead, but he always denied it being staged, and the
evidence is with him.

News Photographer magazine (for the National Press Photographers
Association here in the U.S.) has done several articles on this as rumors
seem to be nearly impossible to kill.

In fact, one of my teachers in journalism school (Ken Kobre who now runs
the photo-j program at San Francisco State) has an autographed print of
that famous picture. Nice to see the real thing.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
To iterate is human; to recurse, divine.