Subject: Capa's cameras
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 97 23:30:22 -0400

>The book has Robert Capa mentioned as one of the Leica users. Every
>picture I've ever seen of this Capa with a camera, was with a
>Carl Zeiss Contax. He may have also used a Rollei.

Ed,

According to the Whelan biography of Capa, he mainly used Contax and
Rolleiflex cameras. At the very end of his life, (if I remember
correctly, he was killed in 1956), he had started using Nikons for color
work. When he was killed, he was carrying a Contax and a Nikon.

Some of his very early work was with Leicas (and maybe some of the
Spanish Civil War stuff), but his WWII stuff and later was Contax and
Rolleiflex. In his early days, he mostly used borrowed cameras, and
usually ended up hocking any equipment he owned.

One of the saddest things in the book, as far as his photos, is the story
about his blurry D-Day pictures. The original captions in LIFE stated
that the pictures were blurred because of Capa's reactions to the dangers
around him. In reality, an impatient lab technical melted the emulsions
of most of his films trying to dry them faster. As Capa and the LIFE
people waited, a lab guy came out and said that the photos were
incredible; a short time later, he came out and announced that they were
ruined.

He returned with his film on the first transport of wounded soldiers
coming back from the invasion. He waited behind the doors at the front of
the landing craft, hoping to get a shot of the orderlies, doctors and
stretcher-bearers ready to recieved the first batch of wounded. As it
turned out, another LIFE photographer had the opposite idea, and when the
doors were opened, Capa and the other photographer took pictures of each
other with great amusement.

- - Paul