Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC. Help with low light b/w and Tmax
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 20:37:22 -0700

Charles Dunlap wrote, on the issue of XP2's susceptibility to scratches:

> sounds like it went through the standard 1 hour processing machine. The
> fine scratches are do to inevitable dust on the rollers (most labs don't
> operate their 1 hr machines in a class 100 clean room). The emulsion isn't
> any softer than any other....

Well, I'm not so sure. Yes, roller transport processing is tough on any film and should
be avoided at all cost. Always seek dip-and-dunk labs. But my experience with XP2
suggested that indeed it is more easily scratched than other films. That and an inherent
flatness kept me away from becoming a regular user. It seemed to pick up a lot of
scratches in my Focomat. But, I will say I got some beautiful tonality from it, and I
have a friend who shoots nothing but for commercial B&W.

I've tried the new Kodak chromogenic film, and I agree it's a different beast. It has
great potential. Like other new chromogenic films, downrating the ISO (overexposing)
causes the dye clouds to be larger and overlap, creating the appearance of finer grain.
 I can see how it could become Ted's, or anyone's, standard for B&W, though I still like
the look, feel, grain structure and manipulative qualities of traditional silver
emulsions like Tri-X, HP5+, etc., in my Leicas.

Bill