Subject: Re: OFF TOPIC. Help with low light b/w and Tmax
From: Charles Dunlap <cdunlap@rupture.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1997 13:42:06 -0700

>How does the Kodak T400CN compare to the Ilford XP2?

Much finer grained, better tonality, a whole different beast. Try some at
ISO 100-200.

> I had tried the XP2, it
>wasn't bad, but the emulsion seemed to be very soft.  I always got it back
>from
>various color labs with long fine scratches on the film.

I sounds like it went through the standard 1 hour processing machine. The
fine scratches are do to inevitable dust on the rollers (most labs don't
operate their 1 hr machines in a class 100 clean room). The emulsion isn't
any softer than any other; rubbing grit along the surface will scratch most
films.

It's worth seeking out a lab that develops film in dip and dunk tanks. The
whole roll is dipped in a tall tank of developer; the surface isn't touched
by anything but liquids. When it's put into a fresh sleeve at the end it is
unmarred and spotless--if the lab is doing its job.

Good luck.

- -Charlie