Subject: Re: X vs. M or How to waste a day
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 20:21:01 -0800

Jim Brick wrote:
> I really didn't like the AD's breathing down my
> neck. They never seem to understand that what they have pictured in their
> mind (or sometimes in a drawing) is quite often photographically
> impossible. Back when I was in that business, sometimes the only way to get
> the desired product was via air brush. Now it's Photoshop. But they did not
> want to pay for air brushing. I suspect it hasn't changed. The added cost
> of digital probably sends them into orbit.

Jim,

My pet peeve, and I have seen this increasing, is that clients and art
directors no longer have the time or budget (they are just too busy or
important) to stay on set during the entire shoot, but want the power to
have you reshoot things that don't quite match what they were imagining
(however vague).  I've been trying to set things up to budget
additionally if they want the right to come and go.  Of course, they say
"we'll be there," but then get bored or whatever, and disappear, usually
just when I need a value judgement.

I used to work for one agency whose owner didn't like to pay much.  One
of his junior art directors asked him why he wouldn't pay more.  The
owner's response was that he hadn't found a photographer that could
shoot pictures that matched the owner's vision.

 And some people think advertising photographers are hired because we
are "creative."  But so much of the time, we are just slave
technicians.

Which is one reason I'm doing less and less of such work anymore (unless
rent on studio is due or urge for new Leica equipment too strong).

Donal Philby
San Diego