Subject: Re: X vs. M or How to waste a day
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 1997 11:58:32 -0700

>> only receiving light equivalent to f/5.6. So instead of shooting at about
>> 1/500 to 1/1000 sec, I had been shooting at 1/125 to 1/250. It had made all
>> the difference.
>
>Do you use a gyro??  I have found that I can get tack sharp stuff at
>1/125 with mine.
>Two recent jobs included shooting a baseball opening ceremony with a
>300mm and shooting boats running at 40MPH from helicopter.  Out of roll
>with the 300mm, I would lose 3-4 frames, mostly because lens is so long
>it gets in the wind.  The boat stuff was mostly with 80-200 and got
>these beautiful motion blurr on water with tack sharp boat and people.

I sometimes do use a gyro, but for the stuff I am shooting (construction
sites, developments and finished buildings), and the camera and film I use,
it usually isn't necessary. Medium focal lengths, 1000 to 2000 ft altitude,
and 160ISO film make it easy. Your kind of shooting would seem to demand a
gyro, but my subjects never scoot around :-).

   *           Henning J. Wulff
  /|\     Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\      henningw@archiphoto.com