Subject: Noctilux
From: "Dr. Alberto Rodrguez-Robles" <arobles@coqui.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 08:33:03 -0700

Thanks to Ted and Erwin for sharing their knowledge and experience with
the Noctilux 1.0.

One week ago I tried the Noctilux 1.0 and found that the lens gives you
an extremely noticeable vignetting on 1.0, specially on the left upper
corner.  I didn't like that look, specially when you're making images
under fluorescent light, which gives you even lighting.  I tried the
Noctilux under available light, incandescent and spot lights and you can
get away with the vignetting.

I don't know if the Canon 50 mm. 1.0 gives you the same problem of
vignetting?  Many years ago I used the Canon 85 mm. 1.2 asph. wide open
and didn't have any problem with vignetting.

I wonder how such an expensive lens gives you such a serious and extreme
vignetting.  I think that if you buy a Noctilux is to use it at 1.0
otherwise you can get a Summilux and use it at 1.4 and so on with the
other 50 mm. lenses.

By the way I made the same image with the following 50mm. lenses:
Summicron f-2, Summilux 1.4, Noctilux 1.0, Collapsible f-2, Dual range
f-2.  I made exposure on each lens from it maximum aperture up to f-4
and then made 8x10 full frame enlargements.  All the images where done
in Fuji Neopan 1600 with an exposure index of 800, developed in D-76
1:1, 68 F on a Jobo for 7:30 min..  All the enlargements where done at
the same enl. lens opening, same time, on Ilford Multigrade IV Resin
coated, glossy with a 2 1/2 filter, Aristo V54 cold head, developed with
Dektol 1:2 for 2 min. at 70 F.

The image that shows better separation in the shadows where the Summilux
1.4 and the Noctilux gives you a very particular and unique image
quality.  I guess that the Noctilux has a particular enchantment but it
is an expensive one.  My favorite print came from the Summilux 1.4.
So, be careful and do your homework, test and see with your own eyes
what these instruments can do for your images and the effect that they
do in your pocket.

I hope that everybody enjoyed the week-end and make nice images that we
can talk about next week.

Click,

Alberto