Subject: Noctilux
From: ted grant <75501.3002@compuserve.com>
Date: Sat, 6 Sep 1997 02:32:41 -0400

Elliot wrote:

<<<Ted, in situations where you would use this lens, i.e., very low light,
how do you solve the problem with such low light levels interfering with
your ability to focus through the rangefinder.  Given the really minimal
depth of field, and the need to be close with your focusing, I find it
somewhat hard to focus well " in the relative dark ".  Is there a
secret?>>>>>

Hi Elliot,

I look for a "highlight" of some kind, either in the eyes or glasses, if
the person is wearing any.

Usually you will find a highlight in the eyes even in the darkest of
locations and because "light and eyes" are the first two things I look at
in that order when shooting people, that is where I look to focus.

If the person's face is 3/4 to the camera I focus right on the eye closest
to the camera.  Usually as long as that eye is sharp then the viewers eyes
will accept any other out of focus areas.

When you are working with such a shallow depth of field the eyes or eye
have to be the focus point, otherwise it will drive you crazy looking at
the slide or print trying to pull them into focus later.

hell of a headache trying! :)

I don't have any other thing special that I do other than the highlight
whether it is people or whatever.

ted