Subject: Re: SALGADO in Chasseur d'Images 10/97
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 13 Sep 1997 21:22:48 -0700

Gary Todoroff wrote:

> ("need to knowing it") sums up Tri-X beautifully! I have
> used Tri-X for over 30 years, with occasional attempts at other film. But I
> know my Tri-X and continue to know it better - like an old friend with a
> lot of depth. The combination of Tri-X and Leica glass was a match for the
> ages.

	I agree, Gary. I often hear students or others complain about the grain, but I
think they've missed the beautiful tones of good old Tri-X. If you get that tonality in
a print, the grain will be forgotten. (That said, I am also quite fond of HP5+, which
has a similar look but with subtly pleasing differences in sharpness and push
qualities.) But of course, others will differ.

Regards,

Bill Welch