Subject: Re: New R8 Ad!
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 1997 19:10:49 -0800

> >Overall, and counting text, it's an OK ad. Odd, though, that it would be
> >placed in a lifestyles of the self-indulgent-type magazine, rather than a
> >photo mag.  Mmmmm.

According to the woman in charge of advertising at Leitz USA, they feel
that the collector wanting a status symbol is their major client, so
feel they need an ad based not on function or professional use, but on
status.

The new ad done in Germany for about four times more than they should
have paid for yet another ad that, to me at least, communicates nothing
of value to a pro.

So sad.  Then they will continue to wonder why the pros aren't flocking
to the R8.

Donal Philby
San Diego