Subject: Re: 90 Tele-Elmarit-M Probs
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Tue, 9 Sep 1997 20:12:39 -0400 (EDT)

Sorry Charlie and LUG -

...but if you indeed own one so afflicted then the ONLY solution is
replacement of the rear element group - ~$500 or so as I understand.  This
condition is not the same as the fogging commonly found in the early Leica
lenses.  Add to this fact that the lens is much less robustly constructed
than the version before or after it and I'd say there is little compelling
reason to chase one of these too far down the block.

I also think some of the folks are confusing this very distinct cement
problem with an unrelated lubricant issue.  I own an earlier Tele-Elmar-M 90
'fat' and couldn't be happier with image quality.  I have also used the new
90 Elmarit an would recommend it as well.  It's one thing if one already
owns a problem lens but why go out and buy problems with so much really
great glass out there?

Curt

>If you own a 90 T-E that you like then the need for concern is minimal. If
>you ever do get the fogging then you can have it cleaned and your lens will
>be as good as new. I wouldn't fret. Life's too short to worry about such
>remote possibilities.
>
>-Charlie

Elizabeth Mei Wong
Birding with Women Outdoors at http://members.aol.com/womenout/index.htm
           or with Berkshire County's Hoffman Bird Club

Henry Curtis Miller, M.P.A.

Pittsfield, Massachusetts
In the Berkshires, next door to Tanglewood