Subject: R8 Ground Glass Screen
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 1997 11:09:00 -0400

Dear Fellow LUGnuts,

Having used an R8 for the past 2 months, I have grown to appreciate the
bright viewfinder, the very hardy lenses and excellent optics.  Whenever
you get something different from what you were using, you make comparisons.
 I like the R8 much better than my Canon F1's and F1n's.  Actually I like
my T90 better than my F1's due to its built in motor.

I just replaced the standard split image, microprism surround, ground glass
focusing screen that comes with the R8 to the plain ground glass screen.
What an improvement!!!  Its almost as if after using the M cameras for so
long, the split image screen in the middle always seemed to be in the way.
Since my widest aperture lens is only 2.8, the split image seemed to go
dark at times depending upon how you position your eye.  The plain ground
glass focusing screen just made that problem go away.  It seems more like
your viewing an aerial image projected out in front of the camera.

If you are considering the R8 and have used an M camera in the past, I
would strongly recommend the plain ground glass screen on the R8. Focussing
is just as easy as with the split image but all that "garbage" in the
middle of the screen is removed and you get that much closer to your image.

Happy shooting,

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA