Subject: Re: Eye Piece Corrective Lenses
From: Richard Clompus <rclompus@voicenet.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 1997 12:23:30 -0400

Doc (teeth not eyes!) wrote:

<snip>
although my standard prescription is just a tad more than -3, there is also
a correction for astigmatism.  I find that by using a -5 diopter in the
viewfinder I can see and focus perfectly, and have this correctinve lens in
35mm SLR and 6x7 SLR as well.
<snip>

If you have a mild amount of astigmatism, you can use the "spherical
equivalent" by just adding more (-)minus correction.  Usually, you divide
the astigmatism correction amount by two and just lump that in with the
spherical correction.  This concept is also used when prescribing
prescription lenses for dive masks.  Its a compromise but it will work when
you have a mild astigmatic correction.  Other than my wife and photography,
scuba diving is my other passion.  Then I get to use my Nikonos V with a
15mm lens.  No straight lines underwater so the 15mm works like magic.

I'm jealous of Ted because he has a 15mm Leica R lens and knows how to use
it.  Maybe I could afford one if I stop feeding our two dogs...

Richard
Richard Clompus, OD
West Chester, PA, USA