Subject: Re: Warranty Cards
From: Bill Ferris <billferris@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 1997 11:57:41 -0400

David Seifert wrote:

> At 08:31 AM 8/29/97 -0400, Marc James Small wrote:
> [snip]
> >
> >Under US law, in any event, you cannot be forced to 'register' to obtain
> >warranty protection.  To the contrary, your warranty automatically goes
> >into effect upon purchase.
> >
> [snip]
>
> Marc,
>
> Thanks so much for this information.  I have always been torn between
> registering a product and keeping the cards untouched.  The decision is
> particularly difficult when we are talking about very expensive stuff where
> an unprotected failure would be too expensive.  This tidbit of information
> makes the decision easy.
>
> Thanks again.
>
> David Seifert
I do not understand why a camera body or lens with a blank warranty card
is worth more than the same items which do not come with a warranty
card.  Perhaps a collector can correct my lack of understanding.

Just as you don't need to fill out the card to have warranty protection,
that warranty protection is not extended by delay in registering.  i.e.
a used lens over three years old with a blank warranty card doesn't have
warranty coverage.

Bill