Subject: Re: External viewfinder
From: George Berger <gberger@his.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 15:19:55 -0400

>What advantage does an external viewfinder, attached to the hotshoe,
>provide?  I would like to know why they are used instead of just using the
>normal frames viewfinder on M cameras.  I can understand that for short
>focal lengths, less than 28mm, the external finder allows you to see the
>image area, and the camera's viewfinder window does not extend that wide,
>but what advantage would say a 35mm or 50mm external viewfinder provide
>that you don't already have built in to the camera?

Well, some of us have severe astigmatism, and a corresponding correction
for our defect simply can't be ground into a diopter correction lens. So,
we use bright line finders and our glasses to compose. Personally, I have a
+1.5 diopter correction lens screwed into the eyepiece, and I focus without
wearing my glasses. After focusing, I switch back to my glasses and a
brightline finder. Yes, it's slow and deliberate; however, it beats the
alternative <grin>..

George

George Berger
gberger@his.com