Subject: Re: External viewfinder
From: bholmes@frii.com (Ben Holmes)
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 1997 07:48:00 -0600 (MDT)

>What advantage does an external viewfinder, attached to the hotshoe,
>provide?  I would like to know why they are used instead of just using the
>normal frames viewfinder on M cameras.  I can understand that for short
>focal lengths, less than 28mm, the external finder allows you to see the
>image area, and the camera's viewfinder window does not extend that wide,
>but what advantage would say a 35mm or 50mm external viewfinder provide
>that you don't already have built in to the camera?
>

>-GH

I cannot say that it is an advantage, but when looking through one of the
universal finders the picture is competely surrounded by black. The edge of
the image is crisp, and well defined. It's almost like seeing it on a movie
screen in a dark theater. The effect is a sort of isolation of the image.
Very different from the M's VF.

Regards,

Ben W. Holmes
Boulder, CO