Subject: Re: External viewfinder
From: Welch <Bill.Welch@pressroom.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 23:25:36 -0700

George Huczek wrote:

> What advantage does an external viewfinder, attached to the hotshoe,
> provide?  I would like to know why they are used instead of just using the
> normal frames viewfinder on M cameras.  I can understand that for short
> focal lengths, less than 28mm, the external finder allows you to see the
> image area, and the camera's viewfinder window does not extend that wide,
> but what advantage would say a 35mm or 50mm external viewfinder provide
> that you don't already have built in to the camera?
>
> -GH

George,
	I have the 35mm brightline finder, which I picked up with an M4. It provides a
big, bright, delightful view of the field. Once you get used to it, it's fairly easy to
focus through the rangefinder and move your eye up top to the brightline. And it works
especially well when you are prefocused or zone focused. Also, I can switch it onto an
M3 and use a 35mm lens with ease.
	Basically it makes the full field of the lens easier to visualize. I agree it
sounds redundant and unnecessary, but in practice they are pretty nice.  I use my 21mm
SA an awful lot, so I'm pretty comfortable with an accessory viewfinder.
	Most of the brightline finders are pretty pricey, but users can be found. The
35mm is no longer made, I believe.

Regards,

Bill Welch