Subject: CLE
From: firkin@netconnect.com.au (Alastair Firkin)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 97 02:45:38 -0700

> I would appreciate feedback on the reliability and in particular
> repairability of the Minola CLE.

Buyer beware!
Minolta will not support this once very expensive camera. It was the nicest
camera system I owned and I was quite distressed to trade it in last week,
but there is a serious developing problem in the metering system, which if
it does not affect the camera now will haunt it. It may not be true, but my
source had no reason to lie and is very knowledgeable on things Minolta. It
seems, that part of the metering circuit is on a ceramic board. This board
was a fairly primitive design and has a habit of developing micro
fractures. From what I can gather, this problem makes the meter more
sensitive to battery condition until one day "Edward Kangaroo" :-) My baby
was in fantastic "nick", but was beginning to demand fresh batteries too
often- may have been my imagination, but---. In fear I traded it in. This
on top of its flash crashing 5 years ago. Even then Minolta Pooh-poohed its
repair and told me it was unsupported. Parts are rare as the camera is
rare. When Minolta told me a month ago that it "would not touch my XD7", I
finally decided to dump the CLE and clear out the cupboard. When this
happens, it will end a 29 year association with the company, and put me
fairly in line for a wallet emptying experience with Mr Leica, or perhaps
Mr Rollei if he could be tempted to roll in behind the 3003 again. [vain
hope, but how good would an autofocus version be? ;-)]

All that said, if you could buy a CLE at a reasonable price and could have
the ceramic board checked for defects first, it is a great camera!!!!

Alastair Firkin