Subject: Re: Summ. 35 (second vers)
From: cmiller@berkshire.net (Curt Miller)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 1997 18:48:46 -0400 (EDT)

I have one of these in absolutely new condition and adore the image quality
- - with but one qualification: (I'm no expert on lens testing so will defer
to Erwin on the technicalities of this) the lens appears to have some field
curvature so that images made at apertures greater than about f/5.6-1/2 show
unsharpness in the corners.  I did not notice this abberation in the 1st
version of the lens (8 elements) which appeared to simply exhibit a little
softness at f/2 (yet still a very acceptable image).

I'm not sure that this quality presents any problems for me, it's just that
it's there.  OTOH, my 3rd generation 28/2.8 is sharp into the corners even
at wide apertures and I use it for street work with wider openings and use
the 35 more for landscapes with tighter stops.  So, as a practical matter,
the corner sharpness is usually not an issue for me.  The other positive
point about this lens is that it is so small and light, a real delight on my M5.

Curt