Subject: Re: American Photo & HCB
From: Gerard Captijn <captyng@vtx.ch>
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 1997 09:55:01 +0200

>On Fri, 22 Aug 1997, Ben Holmes wrote:
>
> September/October American Photo - just got it hours ago. HCB from cover to
> cover, including interviews and photos of the man.

I recently saw a movie on HCB on ARTE. One of the more interesting parts
was when HCB was filmed while making pictures. I have never seen anybody
transporting film and making the next picture so fast. 24 frames per second
were not enough to show the action clearly. He must have been able to make
easily 2 pictures per second with his TM Leica.

The way he worked was that he set shutterspeed, aperture and distance, and
then made a series of pictures concentrating on the subject, probably
hoping that one of them would fix the decicive moment. He also had stealth
quality: HCB and his Leica were always very close to the subject but
somehow invisible, they didn't intrude. Probably still today a very valid
way to photograph with a Leica.

Great images.

Gerard Captijn.