Subject: Leica M frame counter problems
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 97 14:29:43 -0400

There has been a lot of talk here, recently, about problems with the M6,
especially with the frame counter. I especially feel sympathy for
Ferdinand, who ended up with this condition after he had surveyed M6
users asking about new-camera problems.

Here is a quote from the July, 1980 issue of Popular Photography, in a
review of the M4-2:

"In the camera tested, an intermittantly binding frame counter prevented
its automatic return to its starting position when the bottom was removed
for film loading. This was found to be caused by the interferrence of the
wind lever's return spring with the counter's main-spring drum. A slight
bend in the ends of the return spring corrected the trouble. This might
be one of the many small imperfections from an early production run. We
learned that our sample was made more than two years ago."

It sounds like this problem is nothing new, but should be easily fixed.
It also suggests a possible temporary workaround:

If the wind lever's spring is causing the problem, maybe causing the
spring to flex while the baseplate is off will free the counter briefly,
and allow it to reset. Have you fired the camera a few times with the
baseplate off and no film in it? If this works, and if you are very
lucky, after a few rolls of film the parts may wear-in slightly, so that
it will start to work normally.

- - Paul