Subject: Re: Moss on DR Summicron
From: Paul Schliesser <paulsc@eos.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 97 12:10:50 -0400

>> The only serial number breakdown that I can find for the DR lens is from
>> the first edition of van Hasbroeck's _Illustrated History_; he gives
>> 2233899 as the point at which the short end of the distance scale changed
>> from 19 to 20 inches.
>
>Mine is 219xxxx and has 20 inches marked on the distance scale in the
>normal fashion.  However, there is also a small "19" marking on the barrel
>which is rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise from the other markings.

Dave,

If this is what it sounds like, this small number is on most M lenses.
"19" means that the focal length of your lens is 51.9mm--it's a number
(in tenths of a mm) which you add to the marked focal length, to get the
exact focal length. If you look at detailed lens tests, you'll it's very
common for a lens to be a small ammount longer or shorter than its marked
focal length. The number is usually located near the infinity end of the
distance scale.

I'd appreciate it if you would participate in the DR survey.

Thanks,

- - Paul