Subject: Riefenstahl
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 1997 12:56:04 -0400

The lady was and is a superb photographer.  She did what was necessary at
the time to have her work published.  She was never a Nazi, in any regard,
though she was a long-time lover of Albrecht Speer, Hitler's architect, and
a favorite of Joseph Goebbels.

Are we to condemn people because of the regime under which they must work?
Let's not jump to any conclusions here  -- there are documented US war
atrocities in the Second Imbroglio, and I haven't heard a bit of
condemnation of, say, Carl Mydans for photographing the war in detail.

No, Leni did the best in troubled times.  I doubt if any of us would have
done much differently, given the tenor of the times in which she worked.
Riefenstahl's "Nazi" work was at an early period, before the Camps, before
Crystal Night, before the true nature of totalitarian rule was revealed.
(A warning to those of us who worry in the night about the 'there oughta be
a law' mentality which afflicts the US public:  that was precisely how the
Nazi's got started.)

No, give MS Riefenstahl a rest.  She is a magnificent photographer with a
magnificent ouevre developed over seventy years of active work.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!