Subject: Re: PRN 100
From: Paul Young <pauly@sdd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 12:07:54 -0700 (PDT)

> On Wed, 20 Aug 1997, Ken Wilcox wrote:
>
> SNIP
> > Since I have long since sold my "wedding gears" I shot it with Leicas. I
> > used Kodak Pro 100 and was hoping for the best since the wedding was
> > outdoors in very overcast, dreary weather, complete with some rain. I got
> > the proofs yesterday and I was STUNNED by the beautiful color. It DAZZLES!
> > It SPARKLES! The indoor flash shots very nearly matched the outdoor shots!
> > AMAZING!
>
> 	I'd be curious to hear a little more about Kodak Pro 100:  how
> does it compare with Royal Gold 100?  What is the contrast like?  The
> resolution?  Why did you choose it?  Is sounds like a product that I
> should try.
>
> Gary Toop

I started using it a couple years ago in MF, previously using VPS.
VPS is great for weddings normally, having great flesh tones,
and the ability to record shadow detail without blocking up
the highlights (like a beaded gown). I don't do weddings any
more, but carried over VPS to scenics. Wanting more color
saturation without a lot more contrast, I tried PRN on a
recommendation from Kodak. It was just what I wanted; not too
high contrast, but way deeper colors than VPS, still with good
flesh tones. Finer grain too, but with a full stop penalty.

I have only recently been using RA (Royal 100). Since it is
less expensive and readily available, it is my choice for
all the lens resolution tests I have been conducting lately.
Compared to RA (Royal 100), PRN is a bit contrastier, a bit
more color saturation, and I think a bit more grain though
both are superb on this count. These are subtle differences,
and remember I don't have near the experience with RA that
I do with PRN or especially VPS. I'm actually thinking of
switching from PRN to RA (though I'll miss the Pro name).
When I'm done with the resolution tests, I'll shoot some
rolls of RA and PRN together on my typical subjects, and
then decide after a more critical evaluation. I suggest that
you do the same, being the proponent of consuming mass
quantities of film towards the goal of understanding the
tools one has.

Paul.