Subject: M6 Shutter problem
From: Tor Torhaug <t.a.torhaug@kri.uio.no>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 1997 16:39:01 +0200 (MET DST)

Dear LUGers

My M6 is rather ill.  Basically, quite often, the shutter does not fire.
It has happened occasionally for the past 10 or so rolls, but on the last
roll of slides I had processed more than half of the frames were just
black.  One or two frames also had the upper right hand corner of the frame
exposed, with the rest of the frame black.  The frames that had been
exposed were fine.

I bought the camera new in 1993, and have put less than 100 rolls of film
through it since then.  I did originally think that the missing exposures
happened when I fidgeted around, nearly depressing the shutter release all
the way, but then changing my mind, and lifting my finger again, and then,
later actually depressing the shutter release all the way.  But I can't
recall doing that for this particular roll.  I'm rather at a loss as to
what might be wrong, and what sort of tests I should be doing before
sending the machine off to be expensively repaired.  Has anyone encountered
this type of problem, and give any hints as to how it should be dealt with?

Tor

Tor Torhaug
Research fellow
University of Oslo
Department of Classical and Romance Studies
Postboks 1007 Blindern
0315 Oslo
Norway

Phone: +47-22 85 71 28