Subject: Re: Discards
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Aug 1997 12:34:24 -0800

hmphoto wrote:
> In comparing my old Canon F1 to my newer EOS 1, both with 2.8 lenses on
> them the EOS was as dark as a moonless midnight compared to the F1, I
> kept looking to see if the lens had something stuck on the front of it
> obstructing the optics.

> If the R8 is as bright as it is reported to be this is a big incentive to
> get that thing.  I personally was REALLY disapointed in how dark my EOS 1
> was.  This was the first time I had shot at poor light situations with
> the E

Harrison:
I believe I posted here before that I measured the diifference between
the Nikon N90s and the F5 and there is a stop difference.  I assumed
that with advancement the F5 would be brighter.  But no.  I wonder why.
I have also posted the question how does the Leica finder get so
bright.  I mean the R8 is like having the lights turned on--both
brightness and (as you said) contrast.

So is it a trade off to shift light to the AF sensors?  Or a place where
quality was sacrificed for economy.  I guess I would like to see a
comparison of finder brightness measured with meter on all the common
cameras.  Is Contax as bright as Leica?  It is a subject that I have
never seen mentioned outside of circles such as this.  Why isn't this
mentioned in the photo press.  Or are they too dim?

Donal Philby
San Diego