Subject: Re: New book
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 1997 09:43:50 -0800

Curt Miller wrote:

> Donal wrote (in part):
> "I have Pentax 67 system and..<snip>..but because you need
> to shoot it at f/11 minimum for any depth of field..."
>
> This might more appropriately be stated: "...but because you need to shoot
> ANY camera at f/11 minimum for the depth of field needed for this type of
> job..."

Curt:
Not in my experience.

I often shoot corporate images at f/5.6 with adequate DOF, especially
using a 35mm focal length lens.  Plus when you are shooting computer
screens at F/11, the shutter speeds a very slow and awkward, especially
with models sitting in dark, etc.  The T/S Canon lenses would be
wonderful for corporate stuff because the TS could help cut DOF needs,
and thus the necessary strobe power.  I not uncommonly use 6,000 to
10,000 WS of strobe when shooting with 67 to get f/11.  With 35mm, i can
often reduce that to 2,000 ws total.

One of my studio partners the other day was even exclaiming about the
difference in DOF between his Hassy and Pentax 67 systems (an 80 versus
a 90 for normal).  The Hassy was significantly easier to get what he
needed in focus.

The other alternative is to make your compositions as much as possible
on the same plane for minimum DOF needs, but that is usually boring.

Donal Philby
San Diego